Sunday, April 12, 2009

she's gone

Taly, our golden retriever, had to be put down yesterday.


She was four months shy of 13 years old. Things have been going downhill for her for the last eight months or so, but had gotten especially bad in the last two months.


She was a very affectionate dog. She loved people so much more than she loved fellow dogs. When we walked her and encountered other dogs being walked, the other dog would always come to her but she would always go to that dog's owner instead. And when we would pet the other dog, she would quickly come to us and nudge us with her snout to try to get between us and the other dog... and would make a strange sound like she was talking - it wasn't a bark nor a growl and I have no idea how to describe it, but she was talking. She made that same "talking" sound when her favourite people came over for a visit... and she had a LOT of favourite people.


Really, she was a very special dog... and also one of the stinkiest dogs I've ever known.


We will miss her and always remember her... and her absence from our lives will be felt for a long time to come.


7 comments:

~Just Me Miranda~ said...

Oh Anna I'm so sorry to hear.What a beautiful dog. You had a good lot of years with her, and many good memorys, thank god we have those.

My Nikki is almost 15, and is getting so old, so fast.

Ponita in Real Life said...

Oh Anna... I know how hard it is to do that. I've done it more times that I can remember... but their short lives enrich ours so much, it is worth the heartache when it ends!

My Zoƫ is the same way! She is the Walmart greeter of the dog park. Always goes to visit with the people and most often ignores the dogs, unless there is one larger than herself. Then she gets a little bit excited!

Warm hugs to you and J.

Sir said...

My heart goes out to you all for your loss, but you will always have memories of the good times.

Warren

WithinWithout said...

Anna...

Taly sounds like just the most beautiful of dogs, she sounds just like every golden retriever I've owned or known.

There are few breeds like them, they're the perfect pal for people who truly value dogs and want that connection between us and the rest of the animal world.

I wonder how the twins, even in their infancy, felt Taly's presence and how they will sense that she's no longer there, or whether they're too young to have become attached to anyone but you and J.

Anyway, I mourn with and for you. I hope you'll consider another dog at some point, I truly consider dogs such a wonderful part of childrens' lives, if they grow up with them.

Jonas said...

Oh, how very sad to hear!

Fiona said...

I'm so sorry to hear about Taly, she sounds like a wonderful companion.

I totally understand what you mean about the 'talking'. Lupo does that too.

Remember the best of times with a wonderful dog and all the love she shared with you.

Romeo Morningwood said...

Aaaaw..I had to lay my Jack to rest 7 years ago and it still feels like yesterday. It's so hard to get there but you know in your heart that the decision is really being made for you.

You either LOVE dogs and understand the value of unconditional love (which is why we adore them) or you don't. I do.

Big HUG!XX

ANNA please stop by WW's, he is in the hospital.