Thursday, September 18, 2008

Jack and Jill

As already mentioned, we don't know the genders of the babies. Not only that, but we also don't know if they are identical or fraternal. That means we might end up with two boys or two girls or one of each. Although they are in separate sacs, we've been told that the chances of them being identical are very slim, but the possibility still exists.

Anyone who knows me knows that I am a total whackjob about being prepared in advance, am the queen of lists, and a total control freak. So how does one prepare for the unknown? I haven't figured that out yet, but I do have more lists than I ever have had for any other event in my life.

There's a to-do list.
There's a what-do-we-need-to-complete-the-nursery list.
There's a what-do-we-need-for-the-first-few-weeks-after-birth list.
There are three what-to-pack-for-hospital lists.
And, of course, there is the list of potential baby names.

Baby names - ah... why must this be everyone's business? I've lost track of how many people have asked me "Have you chosen names yet?" When I was foolish and naive, I actually shared some of the names we were considering with those who asked. I quickly learned that people are idiots who feel perfectly comfortable criticizing my choices. So I decided I would stop discussing any potential baby names with anyone and that they would all learn the babies' names after they're born. At that point, it would be completely inappropriate for someone to say anything negative about the chosen name because it would be too late to change it.

So, for those who are wondering about baby names all I can tell you is that I have certain criteria. The names must be easily pronounced in three languages - English (because their Daddy is an anglophone), French (because we live in Quebec) and Italian (because Mommy and her family are Italian). A perfect example of such a name is my very own - Anna. :)

Suggestions, of course, are always welcomed. However, I feel pretty confident that the names we've finally agreed upon are going to stick. And, let me tell you, it wasn't easy for us to agree on two girl names and two boy names.

6 comments:

WithinWithout said...

So I guess Winky (or was it Warren) and Winston and Wendy and Winona -- all of them in honour of WW -- are out?

:-)

anna said...

WW - Sadly, yes. Don't be too heartbroken. ;)

~Just Me Miranda~ said...

Omg naming a baby is one of the hardest things ever. I found we went through the baby name books trying to find a way to make fun of it. Sad I know, but I had a friend who called her boy Bart...and everyone called him Bart the fart.

I'm sure what ever you pick will be perfect for them.

Jonas said...

I'm delighted to find you here, blogging away...healthy...and so close to giving birth to TWINS! (I was getting worried, dontcha know).

Fare thee well, Little Momma!

WithinWithout said...

Sob...

OK, Chris, Christopher, Christian, Christy, Chrissy...any of them will suffice.

Seriously, I know what you're saying. I hated it when people kept asking what names we were considering or, worse yet, suggesting names for us. (You know I'm just joking here)

So we just ended up doing the same thing you are: we decided, kept it to ourselves and, if it felt right when the time came, went with our choices.

Gentle hugs.

anna said...

just me - Another thing that's making it tough for us is that we both have negative associations with a bunch of names.

Jonas - I'm delighted that you found me here. :) Yes, they're getting very close to making an appearance and I'm both anxious to meet them (and stop being pregnant - it's a tough gig) and apprehensive about taking on this new (and permanent) role. This is going to be the most important job of my life. Eeeks! The pressure is on!

WW - I actually love the name Chris or Christopher for a boy, but I have an ex-boyfriend with that name, so the name has been disqualified. Bummer.