Monday, September 22, 2008

I'm a wimp

Dear hubby and I ran some errands today. Errands are tough on me. Walking or standing for lengthy periods of time leave me in some serious pain. "Lengthy periods" are currently defined as anything beyond about ten minutes. I used to be able to shop and run errands all day and only feel a little tired at the end of the day, now I can't even get through a shopping trip through Costco.

We went to a friend's house this morning and had breakfast with him. No biggie, right? After that we went to the mall, but we only entered one store and we didn't even have to go through the mall to get to the store. We spent no more than 20 minutes in the store and then headed back to the car. When I arrived at the car, I couldn't lift my leg to get in. So I sat my butt down and then tried to get my legs in while I turned my body. Within moments I was in tears and whining "I don't know how much longer I can do this". It was quite pathetic actually, and I am ashamed for being such a wimp.

You see, this pregnancy has brought with it a condition called SPD (Symphysis Pubis Dysfunction). Here is a brief description of the symptoms:
Pain in the pubic area and groin are the most common symptoms. You may also suffer from back pain in pregnancy, Pelvic Girdle Pain (PGP) or hip pain. It is common to feel a grinding or clicking in your pubic area and the pain may travel down the inside of the thighs or between your legs. The pain is usually made worse by separating your legs, walking, going up or down stairs or moving around in bed. It is often much worse at night and can stop you getting much sleep. Getting up to go to the toilet in the middle of the night can be especially painful.

The pain almost feels like enormous pressure from the inside. Stepping in and out of my clothes is quite the ordeal, as is trying to turn from one side to the other in bed. So aside from feeling excruciating pain in my pubic area and my hips, I am also very much sleep-deprived. It makes for very challenging days and frustrating nights... and it also makes for a very drained and emotional Anna. The pain kicked in sometime in the second trimester - I would say at least three months ago - and has been getting progressively worse.

Maybe I need a mantra or some constant reminder that this is almost over and my body will be my own again very soon.

3 comments:

WithinWithout said...

Well, Anna, I was trying to find something witty or funny to say...but there's nada.

Everyone knows that women have a way higher pain threshold than us wimpy men and that they have to endure much more than we do.

I guess all I can say is that you have that counter at the top of this new blog, which is so appropriately named.

The numbers will now quickly get smaller and smaller and smaller as the time gets closer and closer.

You need to try and get as much sleep and rest as you can, obviously, because once they arrive, well...the pain you're describing might fade but the lack of rest? I don't think so.

It'll just be different. You'll be so pumped up.

I hope the pain goes away as quickly as possible. Big hugs.

Zibi said...

Just popped in to say Hello.

~Just Me Miranda~ said...

Aww (((big hugs)))...though not as bad as having two in me. I remember having to slide out of bed, just to roll over, as my hips locked, its painful as hell.

Hang in there!!